FROM RABBI JOSHUA 7/18/2014
As we enter this Shabbat, our thoughts and prayers are with our brothers and sisters in Israel, particularly with the members of the IDF who are in Gaza, taking possession of weapons secreted by Hamas in mosques, hospitals and other places amongst the people of Gaza. We are mindful of all of the people of Israel upon whom lethal rockets are falling, and we pray for the safety of all innocents caught in the midst of war. For more information please click here. Also, hear Chris Mathews speak about the false moral equivalency between Israel and Hamas and read the op-ed that inspired his remarks.
Rabbi Joshua Chasan
For More Information
There are many excellent news sources to get more information about what is going on in Israel.
- YNET News
- CAMERA (Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporing in America)
- Jerusalem Post
- Times of Israel
- Americans for Peace Now (Shalom Achshav)
- IDF Twitter Feed
How to Help
There are many ways that we in Vermont can support our Israeli brothers and sisters.
There is a great deal of misinformation and confusion about the situation in Israel. One of the best ways to help is to educate yourself on the current situation (see links above) and to share this information with others. Social media, one-on-one conversations, responses to anti-Israel sentiments in press and media, all offer opportunities to respectfully engage and educate those who oppose Israel’s right to defend herself or her right to exist.
In addition, if you encounter anti-Israel or anti-Semitic sentiments in the community at large please don’t ignore the situation. Contact either the Rabbi Joshua or Peter Pelaia and let them know what you experienced.
Also, be sure to write your government representatives to let them know you support the state of Israel and oppose the indiscriminate violence and terror of Hamas and other terrorist organizations operating out of Gaza.
Make a Donation
Below are links to a number of organizations working in a variety of ways to support Israel and Israelis during the current conflict and beyond.
- Stop the Sirens – A joint project of the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism, the Union for Reform Judaism, and the Jewish Federations of North America. Funds raised go to provide safety equipment, trauma counseling, and respite opportunities to children and adults under fire in Israel.
- A Package from Home – An Israeli organization that sends tens of thousands of packages to IDF combat soldiers including bath towels, shirts, underwear, wipes, bandaids, deodorant, toothpaste, shampoo, snacks, etc.
- Habayit Shel Benji – Provides homes and support for lone soldiers serving in the IDF, including those who emigrate to Israel to serve in the IDF and those from broken or disadvantaged homes in Israel who do not have access to the support a family and home provides to serving soldier.
- Magen David Adom – The Israeli version of the Red Cross, supports emergency medical and ambulance services across the country.
- Friends of the Israel Defense Forces – Offers a range of programs that address the educational, social, economic, recreational, spiritual, and cultural needs of IDF soldiers as well as the families of soldiers fallen in defense of the State of Israel.
- Friends of United Hatzalah – United Hatzalah of Israel is the largest independent, non-profit, fully volunteer Emergency Medical Services organization that provides the fastest and free emergency medical first response throughout Israel.
- Jewish Agency for Israel
- Friends of Yad Sarah – Addresses the home and health care needs of the frail and the disabled as well as victims of terror, children with special needs, and the homebound.
- Yad Ezra v’Shulamit – Provides food, clothing, psychological services and emergency relief to tens of thousands of Israeli children and their families. Currently they are sending truck loads of food to communities in the South of Israel under the worst threat of rocket attack.
If you are aware of another organization to add to this list please let us know.