Our sages wrote, Ein kemach, ein Torah, “Without bread, there is no Torah.” They recognized that without meeting the basic financial needs of the kehilla kedosha (holy community), there could be no Judaism. We have inherited and sustained an amazing Beit Tefillah (House of Worship), a Beit Midrash (House of Study) and a Beit K’nesset (House of Assembly & Community) under our name Ohavi Zedek (Lovers of Justice).
We believe that dues and finances should never be a barrier to anyone who wants to be a member of our community. We strive to create a financial model that enables more people to affiliate with our community. By choosing to belong as members and partners in our community, we each pledge support according to our belief in the organization and its mission.
Our Membership Pledge Model
Our annual membership pledge is made up of three areas: Membership Dues, a Facility & Security Fund contribution and suggested volunteer time:
These pledge guidelines reflect our desire to operate with a balanced budget – to live within our means.
For some, what is outlined may be beyond their current means and that is ok. Some may be able to contribute more. We are a community in the truest sense; we rely upon one another to help support those with more difficult financial situations due to reduced income or lost jobs in this challenging economy. In this way we ensure that each family makes a fair contribution and takes an equal stake in supporting our community. This is the essence of tzedakah – righteousness and justice – as our tradition teaches it, honoring the Torah’s command to give according to our means.
On your annual membership support pledge form, please designate the level of support you are prepared to make to sustain Ohavi Zedek. You will be able to choose your payment structure and number of installments and enter a payment method.
Feel free to contact our office administrator Andie if you have any questions at [email protected]. Membership pledges are held in the strictest confidence, only those will need to know roles have access to this information.
The Power of Membership
Below are highlights of what membership supports and the benefits provided to members:
- Religious and spiritual rituals
- Clergy officiants for life-cycle rituals
- Holiday programming and events
- Digital access to programming
- Jewish education and community for our children
- Youth and teen programming
- High Holiday services
- Learning programs
- Outdoor activites
- Pastoral care
- Priority seating at special events
- Voting at community meetings
- The Shalom Shuk Thrift Store service new Americans and those in need
- OZ Archives going back to 1876 and programs like the Lost Mural
- Social justice programming
- G’mach (our team caring for our own members’ needs)
- Community engagement
- Local advocacy
- OZ Cemetery; death and burial rituals
- Discounts at OZ’s Judaica store and special events
- Access to member community spaces (online groups, etc.)
Your support keeps this center of Jewish energy going!
Ready to join? Please fill out our Membership and Pledge Form.
Stay connected! Subscribe to one of OZ’s email lists.