The Adult Education committee welcomes new members as well as suggestions for classes. Please contact our committee via this form.
Adult Education OFFERINGS
- All classes are open unless indicated. Some are offered online via Zoom and some are in person.
- Find class information in the OZ Weekly Email Announcement, and on the Ohavi Zedek Calendar.
- For Zoom classes, the link is on the event web-listing. Please make sure your full first and last name are viewable on Zoom, so we know who you are and can admit you.
SERIES of SESSIONS
LUNCH & LEARN
Read about our 2023-24 monthly lunchtime program here.
LEARN, PRACTICE & PLAY! Are you interested in learning how to play this Chinese game of tiles imported to the US 100 years ago and loved by Jewish women for decades? This 5 part series teaches you all you need to know. Lynda Siegel is our project leader. Fill out this form to add your name to the next class series. Limit to 8 people per session. ALSO LOOK FOR regular Mah Jongg sessions in the OZ calendar.
Have questions or want to sign up for a coming class? Fill out this form.
ELDERS HEART TO HEART CONVERSATIONS
This one hour conversation continues monthly on zoom. We are a gathering of elders. We share and reflect on what is most important to us about aging, grandparenting, parenting and whatever stands out at the time. We are comforted by each other’s listening. If you would like to join, please contact Judy
- 1:30-2:30, the 3rd Wednesday each month by zoom.
OZ MONTHLY BOOK CLUB
The OZ Monthly Book Club welcomes adult readers. Gatherings are casual and book selections are determined by the group, with topics that are related to Jewish themes and concepts. Read more here.
At ChaiLights, OZ serves Sunday morning bagels, coffee and fun, interesting social experiences for adults. Learn more and register.
Did you know the Social Hall can be a Pickle Ball court? Stay tuned to learn how you can enjoy a fun game of Pickleball, the fastest growing group sport in the country – right at Ohavi Zedek. Get our our mailing list here.
We also host periodic Scholar in Residence programs.
ADULT EDUCATION RESOURCES:
- OZ Members can access our library of private video recording by logging in here.
- Explore these selected books on racism, some of which we read in 2020-2021018
About Life Long Learning/Adult Education at Ohavi Zedek
The Adult Education Committee invites you to come and learn! OZ Adult Education (OZAE) seeks to engage congregation members and the broader community both by drawing on members’ experience and skills and responding to an appetite for learning. Whether directly related to Jewish practice and philosophy, or of a more secular nature, OZAE programs will promote connections—between young and old, Jews near and far, our present and our past – all dedicated to enhancing the quality of participants’ Jewish life.
Criteria for a suggested donation for Ohavi Zedek Classes organized by the Life Long Learning/ Adult Education committee:
- There will be a suggested donation for selected classes
- Instructors will determine if there is a charge (based on for example, how much time it takes to prepare, their role, cost for similar classes etc.) Instructors can talk with Adult Education committee for guidance.
- If there is a suggested donation, there will be a range provided – higher for non-members.
- No participant will be turned away for lack of payment.
- The suggested donation for each class will get final approval from the committee chair.
Would you like to teach a class?
Ohavi Zedek Adult Education encourages community members and others to share their talents and expertise, welcoming both Jewish-related and secular programs. The OZAE Committee will make final decisions regarding accepting proposals to teach classes. If you are interested in teaching a program, please complete the following and return it to Ohavi Zedek’s Office. OZAE Proposal Form or contact the Adult Learning chair Nancy via this form.
OZ Adult Education Instructors:
- GUIDE for the INSTRUCTOR/FACILITATOR/HOST using ZOOM
- How did your course go? Please complete this 5-minute survey soon after your course ends so the committee can learn how it went and support you. Thank you!