OZ Adult Ed webpage UPDATES 8-25-2021
OZ Adult Education (OZAE) seeks to engage congregation members and the broader community both by drawing on members’ experience and skills and by responding to an appetite for learning. Whether directly related to Jewish practice and philosophy, or of a more secular nature, OZAE programs will promote connections—between young and old, Jews near and far, our present and our past – all dedicated to enhancing the quality of participants’ Jewish life. OZAE focuses on four subject areas: Jewish themes, guest speakers, secular themes, and the arts.
The Adult Education committee welcomes new members and suggestions for classes.
Ohavi Zedek Adult Education
Upcoming Class Information
The Adult Education Committee invites you to come and learn!
Some classes are offered only once, some are a series, and some are offered in conjunction with other Ohavi Zedek committees or other synagogues. At this time, most classes are offered on screen via Zoom.
Our upcoming and current classes:
A Grandparents’ Conversation
This one hour conversation continues at the monthly zoom gathering of grandparents. We share and reflect on what is important to us about grandparenting, parenting and aging, and are comforted by each other’s listening. If you would like to join, please contact Judy at [email protected] Sessions are the from 1:30-2:30, the 3rd Wednesday each month.
- The next sessions are Wednesday, Sept. 15, Oct. 6th, and November 17th from 1:30-2:30pm.
iEngage Study Series, from the Hartman Institute in Israel (led by Rabbi Amy)
A NEW curriculum from the Shalom Hartman Institute, “Foundations for a Thoughtful Judaism- Ethics Course”. Anyone is welcome to join these classes even if you haven’t participated in the past. The curriculum is allows even beginners to have access to deep Jewish thought and for those who want to grapple with philosophical questions at the heart of Jewish tradition.
- Sunday afternoons 1:00 to 3:00 PM on Oct. 3rd, 24th, 31st, Nov. 7th, 14th, 21st, Dec. 5th, 12th, 19th.
Making Prayer Real with Rabbi Amy, Rabbi David and Cantor Steve – continued
Do you find prayer challenging? Does Hebrew or God language get in your way while trying to pray? Do you want to deepen your prayer life? “Making Prayer Real” is a curriculum by Rabbi Mike Comins and HUC College Commons. Using interviews with Jewish leaders from a variety of movements, the course gives us the opportunity to talk openly about the challenges of prayer, while at the same time learning new ways into the prayers we have always heard in synagogue.
- This bi-weekly series continues selected Sundays from 4:00-6:00 p.m. in October 2021. The dates will be announced via email to participants.
- This class is now a closed group. Please consult with Rabbi Amy or Cantor Steve if you would like to join.
OZ Monthly Book Club
The OZ Monthly Book Club welcomes adult readers. . Book selections to be determined by the group, with a theme that strives to be Jewish adjacent – related to Jewish themes and concepts. Join these casual discussions about the book
- To learn more contact Kathryn.
- Discussions are monthly for one hour, from 8-9 pm on the second Wednesday nights each month, alternating via zoom and face to face in the OZ library.
- Upcoming dates: October 13th in person in the OZ Library: Forest Dark by Nicole Krauss; November via zoom: All the Rivers by Israeli author Dorit Rabinyan; December in person, Here All Along by Sarah Hurwitz.
- Here is a list of selected books on racism for you to explore.
Would you like to teach a class?
Ohavi Zedek Adult Education encourages community members and others to share their talents and expertise, welcoming both Jewish-related and secular programs. The OZAE Committee will make final decisions regarding accepting proposals to teach classes. If you are interested in teaching a program, please complete the following and return it to Ohavi Zedek’s Office or e-mail the Adult Ed Chair. OZAE Proposal Form
OZ Adult Education Instructors:
- GUIDE for the INSTRUCTOR/FACILITATOR/HOST using ZOOM
- How did your course go? Please complete this 5-minute survey soon after your course ends so the committee can learn how it went and support you. Thank you!