We celebrate together for our weddings, births and the coming of age of our children. And we support each other through aging, illness, and death.
Jewish wisdom, tradition and ritual provide pathways for how we mourn; and how we care for each other, for ourselves and for our loved ones who have passed away. OZ’s clergy, our lay pastoral care team and members of our Chevra Kadisha (Jewish Burial Society) support the community in a variety of ways:
- Our clergy and pastoral care team support members in various stages of loss.
- We offer minyan five days per week plus on Shabbat, where those grieving can join in the mourners kaddish with community members.
- Funeral and cemetery services are offered, with specific pricing for OZ members.
- We maintain the only active Chevra Kadisha (sacred burial society) in northern Vermont, offering ancient and meaningful rituals:
- Sh’mira (sitting with the body before burial by a team of volunteer community members that takes place in our chevra kadisha or funeral home spaces). During this ritual, a group of shomerim (guardians) take turns staying with the body during the time period prior to the burial. This beautiful act conducted by members of the community shows kvod (respect) to the deceased.
- Taharah (ritual washing) of the body of the deceased.
- Takhrihim (white burial shroud) dressing of the body. It’ is tradition for all Jews to be wrapped in this simple shrowd to show that we all are equal before God.
Contact OZ For Support
- If you require non-emergency pastoral care or funeral services, please contact us.
- If you have a death, during regular hours, please contact the rabbi via our main phone line (802) 864-0218.
- If it is outside of regular hours or during Shabbat, please contact Shimmy Cohen (802-343-3721) of OZ’s cemetery committee or Carol Pritchard of Boucher And Pritchard (802-862-2851).
- If you are a community member interested in volunteering with our Chevra Kadisha or signing up to be on call for Shomerim (sitting), please fill out this form.
End of Life Rituals Resources
- Click here to view OZ’s Cemeteries page.
- MyJewishJearning’s Death and Dying 101– Information about Judaism’s death, mourning and burial practices.
- Vibe of the Tribe Podcast: Death Rituals Explained– An exploration of the customs and rituals that guide us through loss.
- You can read about and Purchase a Memorial Plaque here.