Ohavi Zedek Synagogue’s Shalom Shuk thrift store provides gently used clothes and household wares to new immigrants and those in need. The mission of the Shalom Shuk, Marketplace of Peace, is to build bridges between peoples of all religious, social and economic backgrounds, through exchanges that foster dignity and respect and offer equal access for all to high-quality used clothing and household goods, while promoting self-respect and self-sufficiency. In pursuit of Shalom Shuk’s primary mission, we provide basic household goods and clothing to recently arrived immigrants and people in need.
If social justice is a passion of yours and you have solid retail experience, please join our team at Ohavi Zedek.
The Shalom Shuk Manager is responsible for running a successful retail organization that benefits the community and Ohavi Zedek Synagogue (OZ), including managing staff and volunteers, merchandising, marketing and financial responsibilities. The Manager oversees daily operations and is responsible for providing exceptional customer service.
This position has flexible hours—20 to 30 hours per week.
- Manage donations from a number of drop-off locations.
- Manage inventory control.
- Sort, evaluate, display and price merchandise. Train staff on these tasks.
- Price unique items such as jewelry, artwork, antique, and vintage items. Get appraisals on value when needed.
- Manage security procedures for staff, volunteers and for building.
- Maintain accurate records of all sales transactions (cash, checks, credit cards), deposits, and payroll timesheets.
- Secure cash management.
- Manage the Shuk budget and create a budget proposal prior to the annual budget meeting.
- Distribute and keep track of agencies receiving donations.
- Work with OZ staff to hire new staff and volunteers when needed.
- Train, supervise and evaluate Shuk staff and volunteers. Provide ongoing feedback.
- Serve as substitute or train substitutes when staff are out.
- Meet with OZ staff and attend weekly staff meetings as needed. Plan and run Shuk staff meetings as needed.
- Conduct investigations should allegations of misconduct arise, reporting all information to the Office Manager.
- Engage with OZ Engagement Coordinator on all internal and external communication, including development and implementation of marketing campaigns.
- Serve as liaison with Shalom Shuk and OZ. Work with Shuk Committee.
- Ensure that the Shuk provides excellent customer service to all. Respond to customer questions and complaints and resolve problems.
- Understanding and support of social justice.
- Minimum of three years experience in a retail environment providing customer service and one year in a supervisory position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated ability to communicate in a courteous and professional manner
- Ability to handle strenuous physical activity including standing for long periods of time, bending, reaching and occasional heavy lifting.
- Basic computer and software skills, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to reconcile daily receipts for accounting purposes.
- Ability to multitask.
- Willingness to work as an effective team member.
Skills, experience and education:
- Managing both part-time staff and volunteers.
- Merchandising, marketing, and financial responsibilities.
- Problem-solving skills and the ability to make quick, effective decisions.
- Team player who can collaborate with thrift store, volunteers and office staff.
- Retail and management experience preferred.
- Basic computer skills required.
- The work location is primarily in OZ’s Shalom Shuk thrift store.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- The salary range is $20.00/hr. to $22.00/hr.
OZ reserves the right to conduct background checks such as criminal and/or driving record checks for relevant roles.